Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Not All Who Wander Are Lost...


Back when I was an Associate Pastor (2004-2005) at the First Presbyterian Church of Nashville, Tennessee, I created this blog and intended it to be an outlet for thinking and writing.  The daily grind of pastoral ministry took up much of my time and energy in those days...and the blog dropped to the bottom of my priority list.  Although I tried once again in 2009 to resurrect the blog, it has taken me some time to find a regular rhythm to everyday life.  Part of that entailed understanding how I am wired.

Two years ago and as part of a consultation with TAG Consulting, I took the Strength Finders survey and discovered that two of my top five "strengths" are INPUT and LEARNER.  Thus, I learned that I am energized by studying, reading, and writing.  In fact, I love to process ideas out loud or on a keyboard.  When I do have the occasion to write, I never quite have the destination in mind.  I am encouraged by the wisdom of Tolkien's Gandalf when he wrote, "Not all...who wander are lost..."  Whether it's hiking, driving, or writing, I love to wander.

So, here we go again...Hopefully, the third time is the charm!

I hope to regularly write on this blog, especially as I now have been ordained for over nine years and am into my sixth year serving as Senior Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Yakima, Washington.  I have failed and succeeded.  I have cried and laughed.  At times, I have loved being a pastor, and other times, I am ready to become a park ranger.  All of these experiences have contributed to my maturation. Simply put, I have had much to process...

I would love it if you would "wander" with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment