Friday, April 17, 2009

Lead On...

St. Patrick

This week is quite a contrast from the events of Holy Week!  I am not scheduled to preach and, in fact, getting ready to travel to Nashville for The Outreach Foundation board meeting.  Apart from being part of what is, no doubt, going to be enriching conversations, I am also looking forward to seeing some old friends.  Margaret and I lived in Nashville and the first Presbyterian Church of Nashville was my first ordained call.

 It is truly amazing how God leads us through life.  Right out of seminary, we were called to Nashville, then we were called back to Texas, and now we are answering His calling to Washington.  Going back to Nashville this week reminds me that it is not my plans, but God’s plans that we are to follow.

In the spirit of reverence, devotion, and righteousness, I wanted to share something with you. The words are at attributed to an ancient Irish poem written by Dallan Forgaill dating back to the 8th century and translated from ancient Irish to English by Mary E. Byrnel in 1905. Unlike the version that exists in our current Presbyterian hymnal, this version includes all of the original verses. It is my favorite hymn and I hope it points you to the wonderful way of Jesus Christ!


Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;

Nought be all else to me, save that Thou art

Thou my best thought, by day or by night,

Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

 

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;

I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;

Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;

Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

 

Be Thou my battle shield, sword for the fight;

Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight;

Thou my soul's shelter, Thou my high tower:

Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

 

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,

Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:

Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,

High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

 

High King of Heaven, my victory won,

May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!

Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,

Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment